Design Technology

//Design Technology
Design Technology2017-03-22T11:35:17+00:00

Food & Resistant Materials

Key Stage 3

At Key Stage 3 students in Years 7 and 8 will follow a carousel route within the technology disciplines. Students will cover a variety of topics.

In Resistant Materials, Year 7 complete a graphics project including designing, making and evaluating with an introduction to basic materials. In Year 8 students complete a plastics project which looks at design restrictions and problem solving. All projects are designed to stretch and challenge students and increase their practical skills within a workshop environment.

Within Food Technology, Year 7 undertake a basic skills rotation, this is designed to develop their skills using basic and more specialist equipment and increase their understanding of basic ingredients. In Year 8 students look at the function of ingredients and recipe adaptation, this along with more complex practical tasks develops their skill set within a catering environment. A large number of lessons are practically based and are designed to encourage students to becoming more independent and thereby take ownership of their own learning.

In Ceramics students will receive the opportunity to see the entire process from making the clay and researching and designing the product right through to making, glazing and firing the work. They will learn several techniques such as coil and slab building as well as small scale modelling and a range of decorating skills such as slip, glaze and sgraffito. Students will also look at how the excess clay that they use can then be recycled for future use.

In Year 9 students take both Food Technology and Resistant Materials which they complete for half of the school year each. In Food Technology students look at World Foods, this begins with a group presentation demonstrating their knowledge of specific countries. Practical lessons look at developing key skills while following influences from throughout the world. In Resistant Materials students complete a mechanical systems project designed to look at a specific problem. They then design, develop, build and evaluate their product. Both technology rotations are designed to develop skills and knowledge of key materials and processes and enhance their understanding of the subject should they wish to take it at GCSE.

Key Stage 4

Design Technology is a practical based subject area which requires the application of knowledge and understanding when developing ideas, planning, producing products and evaluating them. The department currently offers two option choices at Key Stage 4; WJEC TECHNICAL AWARD IN Hospitality & Catering LEVEL 1 & 2 which is a practical subject consisting of 4 assessments, 3 of which are internally assessed using the format PLAN, PREPARE & COOK and 1 externally assessed 90 minute online assessment. This course is designed to lead onto Level 3 qualifications at college. In Resistant Materials students will be expected to produce a high quality A3 coursework portfolio (approx 20 pages). The coursework portfolio contains many aspects related to industry and a student must develop an understanding of these methods and convey them throughout their design work. Areas such as; researching, analysis of materials, design and development, planning, modelling and evaluating are just some of the areas covered in the students’ coursework. Once completed, a prototype of the student’s work is then manufactured based on the designs in their portfolio. In order to achieve maximum grades both the design portfolio and prototype must be of marketable quality. Assessment in both areas of study consists of 60% coursework with the remaining 40% on the final examination.

Extra-Curricular Activities

Students have access to lunchtime ‘catch up’ clubs which allows pupils to use the department’s facilities in order to progress or complete any coursework they may have missed or wish to develop further.

Click here to view the curriculum plans

Get in touch

ctk-logo

Christ the King Catholic High School
Mr D Callagher
Headteacher
Lawrence Avenue
Frenchwood
Preston
PR1 4PR
Tel: (01772) 252072
Email: reception@ctk.lancs.sch.uk